Friday, March 13, 2009

A Week of Celebration



Exactly one week ago tonight, I was one of the guest of honor at the Children's Home for International Women's Day. The children danced, sang, and recited poetry. It was absolutely beautiful. These kids are so amazingly talented that it astounds me.

After the program I was invited to celebrate with the teachers in the orphanage at a banquet. You would think by now that I would have learned what a celebration meal is like. There was SO much food--and it just kept coming. (Now, mind you, before I went to the orphanage, I celebrated Women's Day with my fellow teachers at Vineyard Christian School. We had salads, shashlik, lavash, sauces, and potatoes. I was stuffed!) The food kept coming, and culturally, I was expected to keep sampling it. It was great food, but I was so full!!!! They kept putting stuff on my plate... stuff I usually don't eat--like liver pate', mushroom/garlic/onion sandwiches. I lived to tell about it, though!

The food was great, but the companionship was even greater. I felt so honored to sit around the table with these wonderful women that care for the abandoned children everyday. I loved laughing with them, listening to their banter (even in Ukrainian), and hearing them sing traditional folk songs. What a gift to be included! Their hearts are so precious.


On Monday, I went back to the orphanage to talk with the director about the children dancing at my school this week. While I was there, I had the most precious opportunity to share my Christian beliefs with the accountant of the home. She has been so friendly to me every time I have come and on Monday was full of questions. I don't know where it will lead, but seeds were planted.

Pray for my ministry with these ladies and the children of the home. There are about 45 kids there now... ages 2-17. The director has been so good to let me come and go as I wish. She even let me take three of the girls out today to dance at my school and then out to eat. More on that later.

(On a side note, if you are at all interested in helping fund House of Hope--a foster home I hope to start--please contact me. I need 1000 people that will give a tax deductible gift of $300. Pray for me as I wait on God's storehouse to open!!!!)

For now.... I am.....

In His Hope!

2 comments:

Heidi and Felix said...

Becky - here's our pledge for $300 for the House of Hope! (I set up a monthly bill pay with our online banking, so the payments are on the way!) I challenge everyone to do the same!!

Isn't God amazing? We're so happy the dietski dom has welcomed you in to serve the children.

Heidi and Felix said...

Hey B,

Do you have a good recipe for shashlik. I know it's pork, right, but I wanted to find out the rub they put on it.

How's the funds for the house coming? Tell Big Nadia hello for me.

Felix