Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Serendipity


Serendipity is the effect by which one accidentally discovers something fortunate, especially while looking for something else entirely.

Today is one of the days I go to Boyarka's Childrens Home to teach English to these and about 5 more teenagers. I go because the kids are falling behind in their studies and no one in the orphanage can really help them in English.

Satan has been having a hay-day with this. It seems as though when Wednesday or Friday roll around (my only days without a full teaching schedule at the Christian school), I am just not motivated to go anywhere. It is cold and snowy; I am tired and want to rest; The clothes need washing; The house needs cleaning..... The list goes on and on. BUT....most days I go anyway and love it once I get there.

I started this "project" to help the students.... serendipitously.... I have been blessed. I went looking to serve, and am being served. These kids are AMAZING! Today, they eagerly participated in everything I had for them to do and the class was over before I realized it. When I started to leave, they asked when I would be back. I told them that I would be there on Friday. I expected moans and complaints. Instead, I got cheers. "We love our English lessons!" "Can't you come everyday?"

Then, I told them that next Wednesday was my birthday and I would probably not be there. They were insistent that I come anyway... especially since it was my birthday. One sweet girl said.... "You don't have children to celebrate with and we don't have moms to celebrate with.... it works out just right!" Guess where I will be spending my birthday evening?

Serendipity???? Or God's unique plan and blessing?

Forever....IN HIS HOPE!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful stories. Beautiful work. Beautiful blog! Look forward to reading more.

Lisa Edwards

Leslie said...

Hi! Yes, I'm a CHS graduate, too! I graduated in 1992. The bracelets are not my designs, I just am able to order them wholesale and pass along that price. Let me know if you'd like to order...I've extended it until this Friday. I'll place order MOnday, Feb 23 and shipping is usually speedy. I should have them by the end of next week! Thanks, Leslie

Heidi and Felix said...

What a beautiful story, Becky! Bless you for working with those children. N, J & K told me they've had English class in school since 2nd grade. Is that really possible? You know how nonexistent their English was in November! Miss you!

Rolan and Eileen said...

Go Becky! You and Nadia and Eunice were a huge help and encouragement while we were in Kiev!

Heidi and Felix said...

Hey,

How 'bout a new post! We want to hear about you, Nadia and life in Ukraine. Tell my hommies Roland and Zhenya hello for me!

Felix

Nadia Roge said...

I love the picture above..... I miss them.